2022 Mountain-Pacific Meeting of the Society of Christian Philosophers
United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
October 27 – 29, 2022
“The Wisdom of Love”
Fiona Ellis, University of Roehampton
C. Stephen Evans, Baylor University
We invite submissions of long abstracts (500-750 words) or full papers (3,000 words, maximum) on any topic in philosophy, with priority given to submissions that address the conference theme or engage Christian philosophy, broadly construed. We encourage submissions from Christians and others, regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof, as presenters and participants. All submissions should be either a Word or PDF file, prepared for anonymous review, and sent to Adam.Pelser@afacademy.af.edu by July 1, 2022
. In your submission email, please use the subject heading “SCP USAFA Submission.” Please indicate whether you would be willing to serve as a session chair should your paper not be accepted for presentation. Note that there is a $500 (USD) prize
for the best student paper. Students wishing to have their submission considered for this prize must submit a full paper
(not simply an abstract) and they should indicate their desire to be considered for the prize in their submission email, including both their degree program and institution of study.
Submissions that address the conference theme may wish to consider any of the following questions or topic areas:
- What is love? What are the proper objects of (wise) love?
- Does love contribute to human flourishing or meaning in life? How is love related to virtues and vices?
- Might love be important for acquiring epistemic goods such as knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, or for overcoming epistemic injustice? Is there an “epistemology of love”?
- How should Christian philosophy reflect and be shaped by Jesus’s Great Commandments to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind, and to love our neighbors as ourselves? How is the love of God and neighbor related to the love of wisdom?
- How should we understand Jesus’s command to love our enemies? What are the implications of this command for engagement in politics, protest, or war?
- How does “the wisdom of love” in the Christian tradition compare to the wisdoms of other philosophical and religious traditions, including Eastern traditions?
- How can we grow and help others to grow in the love of wisdom and “the wisdom of love”?
SUBMISSIONS FOR PLENARY PANEL
In addition, we invite abstract submissions for participation in a plenary panel on the theme of Teaching Philosophy. If you wish to participate in the panel, please send an abstract (300 words, maximum) to Adam.Pelser@afacademy.af.edu by July 1, 2022. Abstracts should include: Your name, institution, range of courses you teach, and a brief account of what you would like to contribute. We are looking for panel participants to share wisdom and insight concerning the teaching of philosophy, including experiences, resources, and ideas that will support teachers of philosophy in college, pre-college, and church contexts.
Please send submissions, requests to chair, and any questions you may have to: Adam Pelser at Adam.Pelser@afacademy.af.edu
Information about the conference venue and lodging
The primary conference venue will be the U.S. Air Force Academy’s Polaris Hall.
Conference Hotels (these two hotels are adjacent to each other):
Hampton Inn & Suites Colorado Springs – Air Force Academy
1307 Republic Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
Group Rate: $139/night + tax (1 King w/ Sofabed or 2 Queens; breakfast included)
To make reservations online, click here.
To make reservations by phone, call 719-598-6911 and request the Society of Christian Philosophers group rate.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs AFA Northgate
9856 Federal Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
Group Rate: $112/night + tax (1 King or 2 Queens; breakfast included)
To make reservations online, click here, select your travel dates, then under the “Rate Preference” dropdown menu select the “Group Rate” option and enter the code: SCP.
To make reservations by phone, call 719-284-0000 or 1-800-Holiday and mention the group rate code: SCP.
**Important Notes on Hotel Reservations: The final day to reserve rooms at these rates (for both hotels) is September 27th. Conference participants are encouraged to make reservations as early as possible. Our conference will conclude around noon on Saturday (29 Oct), but both hotels have agreed to extend our group rates through Saturday night for any who would like to checkout/depart on Sunday (30 Oct). Depending on interest and weather, we might plan a Saturday afternoon group trip to Garden of the Gods or another local attraction.**