CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
In order to foster philosophical discussion and encourage fellowship in smaller departments and institutions in both the US and abroad, the Society of Christian Philosophers funds a small lecture grant competition. The program provides up to $1,500 for departments to host a well-known Christian philosopher for a campus event. Up to five grants are available for the 2018/2019 academic year.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS
- “Smaller” departments are defined as departments with 3 or fewer full-time philosophers on the faculty.
- Both the applicant (i.e., inviter) and lecturer (invitee) must be members of the Society of Christian Philosophers. For information on membership in SCP, visit here. Applicants are encouraged to query the potential lecturer before applying for the grant.
- The host department/institution is responsible for all lecture logistics.
- Grant funds will be disbursed in advance of the event upon approval of the application. The funds can be supplemented or leveraged with other institutional funds, but this is neither a requirement nor a factor in evaluating applications.
- After the event, grant recipients need not submit receipts but are required to submit both a brief report and photos of the event.
- Unsuccessful applicants are encouraged to re-apply.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications must be emailed to Justin McBrayer, Executive Director of the Society of Christian Philosophers at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each application should
- Be attached as one single page and saved as a PDF
- Describe the local department with a link serving as evidence that the department qualifies as small
- Identify the philosopher to be invited and include a brief description of the topic
- Indicate the format of the event (e.g. lecture, or lecture with lunch with undergrads, etc.)
- Indicate the approximate date of the event (e.g. spring term 2019)
- Provide a high-level overview of the budget, including any matching funds, with a clear indicator of the total request of the SCP.
The application deadline for grants for the 2018-2019 academic year is May 15, 2018. Grant announcements will be made to the entire SCP membership on June 15, 2018.
Please feel free to forward this to colleagues who might benefit from this program. If they are not currently members of SCP, we hope this might encourage them to consider membership. The SCP especially encourages members from outside of the US to submit an application.